Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Vogue vs Suicide

Old school readers of my blog might remember "THE FRUSTRATION DRESS"

Vogue Patterns delivers me a new head churner, which has lead to all up about half an hour of tears.

In my last post I added a picture of one of my WIPs, a Vintage Vogue 2902, in an amazing planet print. I've been working on this for days now, to get virtually nowhere. Though this dress LOOKS like it should be fairly straight forward, the shoulder straps/bodice band WILL give you the time of your life, and not the Jennifer Grey leaping into the arms of Patrick Swayze kind, either.


Oh Vogue, why must your patterns be so awful to me? I adore the outcome but GOLLY GEE WIZZ PEOPLE.

First, I attempted the straps from black velveteen. This was going to look gorgeous against the planetary print, but when sewing I noticed that the parts that I'd ironed had SHRUNK! This has never happened to me with velveteen before, and I was quite distressed. I opted for good ol' cotton drill.

Second time around I realised that one of the straps had been cut short because there was not enough fabric in my hurried folding of a piece of scrap. Again, pretty devastated.


Round 3, and it was looking like a complete mess. I accidentally sewed the pieces wrong and the back band was upside down. I unpicked all my hand stitching and did it again. Then the band was going to be too small for the bodice. I kind of made do. And the bodice is kind of  too small for me and when I tried it on I got stuck. Like, actually legitimately stuck.


I shall keep going. It's very tempting to ignore the way the pattern tells you to do the zipper, open the bodice up completely and do a normal side zip. Le sigh.

So I'm pretty discouraged by all this, I mean, it got me listening to Nick Cave's most melancholy hits.

In other news! I'm very sorry I haven't been posting very much lately (I lost one follower! :( Boo!!) I shall hopefully have more to post soon.


Also how d'ya like my new logo!? It's part of a piece of homework, which I'll be able to upload once it's finished/due (week and a half, yikes!!)

13 comments:

  1. Oh dont stop! the print is too awesome!
    Lovely new logo. I noticed it straight away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you deary! Hopefully I can get the hand sewing finished this weekend xx

      Delete
  2. No No No! You haven't lost me, I've just transferred all my blog following to bloglovin. Following on google reader became a nightmare and bigger than be hur. So it is now empty. Bloglovin has a handy app so now I can feel the blog love when I'm away from home (and I'm sure my employer would eventually realise exactly how much time I spend during work hours admiring the handiwork of others). Keep persevering, Vogue's are mostly worth it in the end... :)
    I'm liking the apricot and teal stripe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, yay now I feel loved. Yes! I'm thinking I should start incorporating these colours into things, as well as starting to design my own fabric prints maybe?! Dreaming big here xx

      Delete
    2. Why dream small when you can dream big!

      Delete
  3. I am do in love with that planet fabric. CANNOT WAIT
    TO SEE THIS FINISHED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO and the heavens will open up and angels will play. I'll be SO happy to finally have this finished!!!

      Delete
  4. I love the new logo! Super cute! Sheesh, I'm sorry this dress has been such a nightmare-- it'll totally be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! Haha it definitely has done my head in and I'm not sure I'll ever bother attempting to make it again!! Too much hand sewing for my liking!! x

      Delete
  5. Oh noooo! Maybe you should just put it away for a couple of days and come back to it with a clear head? Sometimes when things start to go wrong the frustration just leads to more mistakes, I often let my emotions difuse before I can do any more damage. I f*cked up cutting out last night and cut out the lining pattern for a circle skirt to use on a dress instead of the actual skirt panel pieces so now it's about 2 inches to short for my chubby thighs :( That being said, I can see that is going to be a pretty frickin awesome dress when it's finished so you're probably totally excited to get it on right!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally sympathize... I made this one and spent a lot of time on those straps. I had a different issue in that my straps were cotton but the dress fabric was a satin - slippery. The project would have turned out ok, but the satin pattern on my fabric is too busy. I have never worn the dress out of the house.
    I am following you on bloglovin, too. Great work! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with this dress !!! :O I love sewing too, I was looking for a free pattern and just found your blog ! So inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with this dress !!! :O I love sewing too, I was looking for a free pattern and just found your blog ! So inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete