Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lavender Blue, Dilly Dilly, Lavender Green

...was a song my Nanna used to sing to me all the time hehe.


I finished this dress the other day! But I only finished the jacket night before last, and Sunday is my usual day to wear the things I've whipped up during the week.

It is Butterick 4792, an out of print pattern from the 'Retro' line. It comes with dress, belt, and unlined jacket, and also a petticoat which I didn't bother to make.

This dress is HEAVY! There's roughly 9 meters altogether in this dress - definitely the most fabric heavy dress I've ever made. This is because I only used 'top pop' poplin, and it's kind of see-through unless I line the whole thing in the same fabric. Not sure this dress would take THAT much fabric if a heavier weight is used.


I deviated a lot from the pattern instructions as I couldn't figure out what the heck to do with the neckband; every time I tried it on it was choking me. So I made it a little bit more 'my way', which probably alters the overall look of the dress in the end.


After I finished making it I said to myself that I wouldn't make another, even though I bought enough yellow poplin to make one the same with a jacket and belt made from fabric my childhood curtains were made from, but after wearing it and feeling so darn feminine, I think I'll have to.


Can you tell I like my swishy mahoosive skirt?!


This is probably the most elegant dress I've made. I made it originally to match the pair of shoes I'm wearing - I don't really have anything else to wear with lilac and green shoes. The first dress I made was to match these shoes too, but I didn't use a pattern for that dress and it is horrifically dodgy.

My sad Ceylon pile is still exactly where I had it. I will finish it this week, along with twin dresses for myself and Catherine. I am also working on a playsuit. You shall see all these things once I have finished! Hehe x